With the exciting expansion of UC currently underway, we want to ensure that as many students as possible have the chance to experience college life. Our student leaders are also keen to help lead the growth of the College with a large and diverse group of students.
Due to the delayed completion of the UC 2017 Project, in Semester 1 of 2018, arrangements have been made for some students to live at our Swanston Street campus (aka Swanny) located at UniLodge, 746 Swanston Street, Carlton. It is right by tram Stop 1 and a 15 minute-walk around the Crescent to the College Crescent Campus. Students will then relocate to College Crescent when the new rooms are completed.
Applying to UC in 2018
UC applicants can choose to:
- Select College Crescent only
- Select College Crescent but be willing to reside at Swanston Street in Semester 1 if all College Crescent places are full (and receive a $2200 rebate on fees)
- Select Swanston Street as first preference to maximise their chances of a UC first round offer and to receive a $2200 rebate on fees
Fees and charges:
- College Crescent: full fee structure applies (2018 fees will be published on the website in November)
- Swanston Street:
- A rebate on College fees of $2200 will apply plus,
- An ‘Incidentals Allowance’ of $200 will be paid directly into students’ own bank account to cover incidental expenses such as a weekly washing subsidy, Ubers back to Swanston Street after late tutorials and College events, etc.
UC Students at Swanston Street (Swanny)
As a UC student at our Swanston Street campus you will be a member of the UC community and spend most of your time at College Crescent: relax and chill with your friends in the Junior Common Room; enjoy meals in the new dining hall; attend tutorials; study in the library and outdoor areas; and, access all other College facilities, with lockers to store your personal belongings at College Crescent. As a member of the Student Club, you will join your friends competing against other colleges in sporting and cultural activities.
UC’s Swanston Street campus
At Swanston Street you will have a dedicated study space with select tutorials held on site. Our Dean of Studies, Andre Louhanapessy and Dean of Students, Liz Agostino will be available onsite regularly to discuss any of your academic or wellbeing concerns. There will also be two UC Resident Tutors (male and female) onsite with students co-located in cohorts across four floors. The Student Club will run special Swanston Street events and you will elect two Swanston Street Representatives to the Student Club Executive.
Please click here to view the Swanston Street Campus gallery
Be a part of it
Our friendly, relaxed and supportive community is a popular choice amongst school leavers and we are confident that we can deliver the same unique experience for students living at the Swanston Street campus. It’s a very exciting time at UC as we transition and grow – and we want you to be a part of it.
You can maximise your chance of securing a college place in 2018 by choosing to stay at Swanny until the new rooms are ready.
Our two campuses in a snapshot:
||Swanston Street (Swanny)
||40 College Crescent, Parkville||UniLodge, 746 Swanston Street, Carlton|
||• 2018 fees will be published on the website in November
|• A rebate on College fees of $2200 will apply plus,
• An ‘Incidentals Allowance’ of $200 will be paid directly into students’ own bank account to cover incidental expenses such as a weekly washing subsidy, Ubers back to Swanston Street after late tutorials and College events, etc.
||• Our Dean of Students, Liz Agostino, is available to assist with wellbeing issues
||• Students can see Liz at College Crescent or at Swanny as she will be available on-site weekly|
||• Our Dean of Studies, Andre Louhanapessy, is available to assist with academic concerns or questions pertaining to university course work||• Students can see Andre at College Crescent and at Swanny as he will be available on-site weekly|
||• Over 50 tutorials run weekly at College Crescent||• In addition to the tutorials at College Crescent, tutorials will be held on-site as required|
|Rooms||• Fully furnished with a bed, desk, chair wardrobe and shelving
• Most rooms located in wings with shared bathrooms, kitchenettes with a fridge, microwave and shared laundry facilities
|• Fully furnished with a bed, desk, chair wardrobe and shelving
• UC students co-located across four floors with communal bathrooms, laundry and kitchen
• Students will receive a UC Welcome Pack to help set up their rooms and essentials for the kitchen and bathroom. Please click here to see what the pack will include.
|Facilities||• Dining hall
• Library (including computers, scanners, printing facilities)
• Tutorial rooms
• Junior Common Room
• Music practice rooms
• Art and Design studio
• Outdoor gardens and courtyards
• Kitchen garden
• Car parking (at cost)
|• Access to all amenities available at College Crescent
• Lockers at College Crescent to store personal belongings
• Dedicated UC facilities at Swanton Street including, study space, printing and photocopying facilities
• Student lounge
• Deck and BBQ area
|Student Club activities and events (including leadership opportunities and intercollegiate sporting and cultural activities)||• Annual Musical Production
• Musical Soirées
• College Ball
• College Terns (parties)
• Committees: Sustainability; Community Service etc
• Intercollegiate sports
• Intercollegiate cultural events
|• In addition to all activities and events at College Crescent, students will be invited to participate in special events at Swanny
• Two Swanny Reps elected to Student Club Executive
|College events||• Welcome Sunday
• Commencement Dinner
• Scholars Dinner
• Valedictory Dinner
• High Table (Mondays and Tuesdays)
|• Students attend all College events